Home > Uncategorized > Demolition Man

Demolition Man

September 18th, 2009

Saturday was a busy day.  My landlords had decided that they wanted to renovate my kitchen.  They had also decided that I should help.  This makes a lot of sense.  My landlords are my in-laws.  So after a week of boxing up all of the plates and glasses, Saturday was slotted for day one of demolition.  For a point of reference, here are some picture taken Saturday morning.

Sink Wall  Counter Wall

 

The first order of business was my oven.  As some of you may remember, it had developed a bit of an odor during a failed encounter with milk.  It was being replaced.  Canned.  Fired.  Tossed aside.  We dumped it on the curb in the hopes that someone else would deal with it for us.  The fridge and the sink also got the unceremonious heave-ho. 

By the time we got around to removing the cabinets we noticed that oven was gone.  Some lucky looter had just snagged themselves a fully functioning oven.  They are in for quite the smell when they hook it up.  A little while later the sink was gone.  This makes sense.  It was a big hunk of metal and could easily be sold off as scrap for a couple of bucks.  The fridge, on the other hand, spent a long cold night on the street, unloved and unwanted.  But don’t worry too much about it.  He was taken away first thing in the morning.

The only thing that we would keep was the washing machine.  The cabinets, and the counter top were not thrown away.  They will live out their lives somewhere other than my kitchen. 

To celebrate our victory over inanimate objects, my father-in-law and I were provided with gifts of tribute from the lady-folk featuring a six pack of ice-cold Sam Adam’s Octoberfest and a delicious chicken dinner.  After that we went to bed exhausted.

Sunday proved to be more challenging.  After a trip to Home Depot to pick up some materials – plywood, sheetrock, and the like – we stared tearing the tiles off of the wall.  Armed with a chisel and  a hammer we went to it.  In software development there is something known as the 90/10 Law.  It states that 90% of the work takes 10% of the time.  The other 10% of work takes the remaining 90% of the time.  We found that this held true for the demolition as well.  Our first tasks was to remove the tiles from behind the sink area.  Most of it came right off, but there was a relatively small section that would not let go.  We had to get a smaller chisel and chip it off inch by inch.  In the pictures below, the section of bare cement is where the tiles were.

Once the walls were done we were able to pull out the ceiling.  Once that was gone we were able to clean out the space, shower, eat a quick bite, and hit the hay.  It was a productive but tiring weekend.

DSCF9912 DSCF9913

Author: Josh Categories: Uncategorized Tags:
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.